This is a new series that I am starting where I will blog through the alphabet from A to Z. Each week or so I will be posting to the next letter with a featured ingredient, recipe or another food related post. Check the Alphabet Soup tag in the sidebar to see the full list of posts.
Avocado Turkey Club
We are in the heart of summer right now where fresh produce is just about everywhere. I envy those of you living in Florida or Southern California where fresh avocados are a dime a dozen. The turkey club is a staple in many kitchens across the country. the addition of avocado brings this common dish to the next level.
- 12 slices white bread
- 1 jar mayonaise
- 1 head bib lettuce
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 12 pieces bacon, crisped
- ½ pound turkey, thinly sliced
- 4 slices swiss cheese
- 1 avocado, sliced into thin wedges
- Toast your bread to a golden brown. You will need three slices per sandwich.
- Spread the mayonnaise one piece of warm toast then lay it on the cutting board.
- Begin constructing the sandwich. For the lower layer I use lettuce, tomato and bacon. For the upper layer I use the turkey, cheese and avocado.
- Using long toothpicks skewer the sandwich at the four sides of the top pice of toast. It is a good idea to press gently on top of the sandwich now to make sure nothing will shift when it is being cut.
- Cut the sandwich on the diagonal and place on a plate facing the cut sides up to display the delicious goodness inside.